Monday, January 16, 2012

Thank you if you read my first blog.  I was encouraged by your feedback and I was amazed that it really did make me feel better.  Just getting the words that had been boiling inside of me out was incredible and there is so much more...so ready or not-here I blog!

First, to respond to a common question from my first blog, "where were the mothers"?  They were there, but on the other side of the play set.  Imagine a large play set that sort of forms a circle with benches scattered around that circle.  From anywhere you can see your children, but you can not always hear them.  So, to be fair to the mothers, they did not know and probably thought they were just playing like any other kids.  But I was on the same side and could hear everything.  The other question: why didn't you say something to the Mothers about it?  For a couple of reasons: I was sort of emotionally out of control-tears streaming down my face, voice cracking any time I tried to utter a word.  They would have taken one look at me and thought, "CRAZY MOM!!"  And I probably would have gotten worked up and said things I shouldn't have said.  I know that most of you don't need reminding, but I am only 5 foot tall-with tennis shoes on.  These Moms would have beaten me down if so inclined.  So to avoid being beaten by fellow suburban Moms, I chickened out, grabbed my family and left. 

I am sad a lot.  Probably all the time.  So to offset that sadness, anxiety, worry-I try to focus on positive things as much as possible.  My blog will probably be a mix of the good things and the not so good.  This blog I want to focus on two great things: my husband and a group of people that help my husband and I stay strong as a couple.
Finding a babysitter for our two kids is not easy.  We do have one fantastic young lady who is away at college most of the time and a couple of possibilities, but for the most part, paying a babysitter who is qualified means paying top dollar and you just can't do that very often.  Especially when every dollar I spend translates into therapy dollars for Carson.  Night out paying a babysitter=certain amount of hours of therapy.  Depressing, right?  But, when we moved back to Texas from Kansas 2 years ago, we discovered some wonderful secrets we didn't know about when we lived in Haslet (before Kansas-another blog, another time :)).  Respite nights for special needs children and their siblings at local churches.  There are many churches in the metroplex that offer monthly respite nights for special needs children and their siblings.  Some go all the way up to 21, some end a little earlier, but for our kids-this was the answer to our prayers.  You fill out some paperwork, they talk to you to make sure they will have the qualified staff to handle your needs and then you get instructions on making reservations.  Most have a call in system on a certain day of the month and it is first come, first serve.  The volunteers are comprised of special education teachers, therapists, nurses, pediatricians, church members and the youth ministry.  These special volunteers are our angels. 
We have three churches that we rotate between.  They all fall on different days of the month and there have been times that we have been lucky enough to have three date nights in month!  It has been wonderful for my husband and I-raising a child with special needs can be tough on a marriage and you either have to decide to go at it alone and probably break up or be each others rock and get stronger than ever.  And that is what these church respite nights have done for us.  A bite to eat, usually a walk through Home Depot or Lowe's-never anything too exciting, but an opportunity to be together.  Dave is my very best friend-I truly lean on him in every aspect of my life, but a marriage takes work!  This gives us the opportunity to do that work that needs to be done. 
The impact on the children has been spectacular too!  Carson gets excited when we turn into the parking lot of the churches, runs to the door and goes straight to his favorite toy or area.  He always has several people there to love on him and play with him and he loves every minute.  His social skills have improved by attending and both kids see it as a reward or a treat (as does Mom and Dad).  Cameron gets a middle or high school girl all to herself for the whole night-as you can imagine, to a 5 year old girl that is like playing with a princess.  And she gets a some of that one-on-one attention that siblings of special needs kids really need, and often do not get enough of.  WHOLE nother' topic.
So, thank you to our churches, although there are so many in the metroplex, you just have to do a google search.  Thank you: Northwood Church in North Richland Hills, First Baptist Church of Colleyville in Colleyville and United Methodist Church of Coppell in Coppell.  The impact you have made on our lives can never be repaid and will never be forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart Andi, way to keep focusing on the positive! Your family is pretty darn lucky to have you. Hope this blog continues to act as a good "release" for you. :) --Zoe (Seba) Forbes

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3, your strength and courage bring tears to my eyes. ~Joline

    ReplyDelete